Automation & Robotics Club
|Teacher-in-Charge||Ms Au Chui Kheng (ic), Mr Jason Ng (2ic) and Mr Nahri Haizal|
Monday & Wednesday
CCA hours : (3 pm – 5:30 pm) ; 2 hour training/day
|Venue||CHIJ Secondary - Computer Lab 2|
Automation and Robotics Club (ARC) believes in strong bonding between members and teachers. Through participation in local and inter-school competitions, students learn much more than they can expect from a CCA; the true meaning of team spirit, perseverance, teamwork, diligence and time management to name a few. Through the hard work of our members, dedication from our trainers and teachers, our club has clinched many awards from 2009 to 2013. These awards include:
- In 2009, the club was awarded the “Best Presentation award for research” at National Junior Robotics Competition 2009.
- In 2010 and 2011, the club clinched the Merit Award for Robo Grand Prix held at Funan the IT mall.
- In 2011, club won the Merit Award for ITE college East Line tracing event.
- In 2011, the club also won the Best Story Board Presentation in the first nation-wide Scinemation competition organized by Science Centre.
- In 2012, the club was Champions and 3rd Runners-up for for Robo Grand Prix held at Funan Digital Mall.
- In 2012, the club won the Merit Award for ITE college East Line tracing event and Merit Award for ITE college East Obstacle Challenge
- In 2012, the club won the Most Creative Robot in Underwater Robotics Olympiad organized by Republic Polytechnic.
- In 2013, the club won the Merit Award for ITE college East Line tracing event and Merit Award for ITE college East Creative Challenge.
- In 2013, the club won 4 awards in RoboPreneur 2013 held at Admiralty Secondary School. CHIJ was 1st and 2nd Runners-up in the Creative Robotics Category, 1st Runners-up for Robotics Booth design and 2nd Runners-up for Fastest Sprint Robot.
All ARC members have abundant opportunities to represent the school in the competitions that are planned for the year such as the National Junior Robotics Competition. Members are expected to attend 2 sessions each week during the non-competitive season and may meet their project mates more frequently during the competitive periods.
Through these competitions, our students foster a strong relationship between their team members and acquired many valuable life skills such as time and stress management, conflict resolution, public speaking, research and presentation skills and many more. From these experiences, many students developed a strong sense of accomplishment in their work and self- confidence.
Contrary to the belief that we only concentrate in building robots for competitions, we are also involved in many other activities such as fund raising, website design, posters design, video making and assembling interesting electronics circuits. Students who join the CCA will learn a new Integrated Robotic System in 2014 known as the Moway Robot. (URL: http://moway-robot.com/en/ ) Students may wish to purchase these educational kits for their own use through a bulk order at a subsidized rate.
Moway NXT-City Project - Moway Micro-robots:
In this CCA, students are given ample opportunities to excel in their IT skills, such as project competitions to hone their skills on multimedia presentation. In 2011, club members took an enrichment module to create iPhone book apps for their iPhones. In 2012, club members went for an enrichment module to Republic polytechnic to learn about aviation.
Although it would be a CCA of choice for students who were from computer clubs and info-comms club during primary school, all students who wish to join the ARC need no background or past knowledge in programming or Lego . We have dedicated trainers and teachers who will guide the students and seniors who are more than willing to share their knowledge. The only requirement is the zeal in the student to be a technologically informed IJ student with willingness to learn and explore. Students are required to have a keen interest in the area of Science, Mathematics and be enthusiastic in all ARC activities . Limited places only.
List of Main Competitions/ Camps
- National Junior Robotics Competitions (NJRC 2013/2014)
- World Robo Masters (WRM 2013/2014)
- ITE College East Robotics Competition (2013/2014)
- Underwater Robotics Competition 2014
- Scinemation 2013